Thursday 26 July 2012

The One That Started It All

I think it's appropriate for my first blog post to be about the thing that started this obsession in the first place. About 15 years ago someone showed me the 1995 BBC TV adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. 

                                                                    Source: Wikipedia

It was love at first watch. I know it is loved by many, even with it's faults (of which I see none). I'm going to be honest and say I really didn't know anything about Jane Austen before this, which I find a little bit sad. By the following Christmas I had persuaded my parents to buy me a set of Jane Austen's books and I was off and revelling in this beautiful world.

Since then I have read P&P several times and watched the 1980 and 2005 versions, Lost in Austen with it's P&P characters, and I've even seen a few clips of the 1940 version (Darcy is a ladies' man!). I think the first adaptation you see will always imprint most clearly on your brain as the representation of those characters. For me, Colin Firth will always be my favourite Darcy. And it has nothing to do with the wet shirt scene! He is so stiff and unlikeable in the first half. It really is no wonder that Elizabeth prefers Wickham. But by the time Elizabeth arrives at Pemberley you should really start to see him soften. Colin Firth plays this so perfectly. He frowns less. He talks more. His facial expressions are so subtle and perfect. The scenes at Pemberley are some of my favourites, especially the long look!

                                                             Source: BBC


In the 1980 version, Darcy doesn't even smile until the second proposal which is almost the very last scene. He is so stiff, it makes you wonder if he really likes Elizabeth at all. I find that the actors who play this role tend to struggle with the change from stiff, proud Darcy to the more friendlier, but still formal version at Pemberly and with Elizabeth. I think Colin Firth does it the best. I seriously think that Darcy struggles with social anxiety... maybe that's why I feel an affinity to him?

Jennifer Ehle is wonderful as Elizabeth Bennet. She's so funny and you really feel the character in her. Her facial expressions really make the whole thing work. She also has some of the nicest costumes. The rust-coloured bonnet and blue and tan pelisses are some of my favourites. This dress is also completely wonderful:

                                                              Source: BBC

Of course, you can't see it very well in that picture, so just take my word for it... or go and watch it!

The rest of the cast is also adorable and in my mind can never be replaced.  There was always a problem with this version having a rather washed-out look to it. Now I have a remastered HD version and it is so beautiful. The colours are now brighter and the costumes and sets stand out much clearer. Even my husband enjoys watching this version with me.

My love for this version comes from a place of nostalgia, but I'm guessing it will last for a very long time!

2 comments:

  1. Pride and Prejudice - my favourite DVD to work to - had it on all day yesterday whilst I frantically tried to catch up on my Printmaking Assignments. I think I know it off by heart. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I like to have it going while I work on things as well. I've seen it so many times now that it doesn't really matter if I miss bits!

      Delete