Thursday 2 August 2012

I wonder what Jane would think?

I do wonder sometimes what Jane Austen would think about what has become of her novels. She really knew no success from them in her short life. Now, movies and tv adaptations are made regularly, and people everywhere are taking her work and making it into all sorts of other things. (Check out my Pinterest for some of these!) Usually I'm not a fan of modern adaptations. Something I've been watching recently has changed my mind a little though...

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
I kept seeing these around the blogosphere but it was only the other day when I finally had a chance to watch them. This web series, created by Hank Green and Bernie Su (apparently very big in the web video business), is set as a video diary of Lizzie Bennet. Lizzie, with the help of her friend Charlotte, create these videos so she can talk and obsess over her parents and the love lives of her and her two sisters - responsible, sweet Jane, and flirty, wild Lydia. There have been 34 videos uploaded so far with an extra 3 Q&A videos. Apart from the four girls, Bing Lee and his sister Caroline have also made appearances. Darcy is yet to be seen and is widely anticipated by the growing fandom. The first episode alone has had over 340 000 views since April. The videos are supported by a website with background information and a Facebook, Tumblr, Google + and Twitter accounts belonging to Lizzie Bennet. The videos have also spawned an offshoot from Lizzie's younger sister, the Lydia Bennet Diaries.

You can also find more info here: http://lizziebennet.com.

Ok, so they're no BBC. But I'm quite enjoying this somewhat awkward, but clever, modern take on the very well-known classic. What's really great for me is that they are encouraging people to read along with the book. YouTube comments are filled with people who have started reading Austen for the first time after watching these videos. That in itself is success in my eyes. I'm very interested to see where they go with this series. I'm particularly enjoying watching Charlotte and I can't wait to see what they do with her character. Lizzie's play acting of her parents is hilarious, even if I do find her a touch too abrasive at times. Lydia is extremely entertaining and irritating all at the same time. Jane is exactly what I would imagine her to be if she lived in 2012. And of course... when will we get to meet Darcy?!

So here it is, episode 1. I hope you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment